Volunteers and mentors are critical to the success of YoungMoms, allowing us to exponentially expand our impact and effectiveness. Opportunities include:
- Mentoring: It is our goal for each of our young moms to have a one-to-one relationship with a positive adult role model. Each mentoring relationship looks different, but generally mentors communicate in some form with their teen mom once a week, with a goal of meeting in person once or twice a month. Mentors make a one-year commitment to developing a relationship with a teen mom. Initial and on-going training and support will be provided by YoungMoms’ staff.
- Transportation: We are always in need of individuals willing to provide car rides for the young moms and babies to attend appointments, Club Night, and other YoungMoms’ events.
- Babysitting for Program Activities: Babysitters are needed for YoungMoms Club meetings. and for other YMs events. Occasionally we receive requests from our clients for emergency babysitting assistance.
- Christmas Shopping Event: We incentivize our girls with bucks….YoungMoms Bucks, that is! Participants earn YM Bucks as they achieve goals and participate in YoungMoms events. They use these Bucks at our Annual Christmas Shopping Event in early December to purchase toys, books, crafts and gift cards for their families. Donations of items to be “purchased” as well as assistance in putting on this much-anticipated event are needed.
- Diaper Collection: Perhaps you would like to approach a small group to which you or a family member belong, such as a church group, Girl Scouts, a book club or a playgroup, for diaper donations. This has successfully kept our diaper closet stocked so we can give a pack of diapers a month to our clients. Coupons for diaper discounts are also appreciated.
- Meals: Gather your friends to prepare a Club Night meal. Menu suggestions and other guidance is available. The meal needs to feed approximately 40 people.
- Tutoring: Many of our clients request academic support. Get involved by helping a young mom study for a test, prepare for her GED, or practice skills that will enhance her vocational opportunities.
- Enrichment Activities: Lead the young moms in an art class or assist them in doing a quick craft at Club Night. Coordinate a playgroup morning, throw a swanky party for just the moms (sans babies!) Teach a cooking class. Arrange a hayride and pumpkin picking. Plan a spa night to pamper our young moms. Sponsor an outing to the Sight and Sound Theatre in Lancaster. We love enriching the girls’ lives with opportunities that they rarely experience. This is a great way to be involved if your time is limited: grab some friends and produce a fun activity for the girls. Bring it!
- Driver’s Education: Assist a young mom in learning road rules so she can obtain her permit using the driver’s handbook. Drive a young mom to her permit test. Really feeling gutsy? Teach parallel parking in real time!
- Administrative Needs: We have the occasional need for help with a large mailing or other admin work.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities, please contact Linda Mercner at